The oldest manuscript in the Museum Plantin-Moretus is the 9th-century manuscript containing the Carmen Paschale of Caelius Sedulius and the Epigrammata of Prosperus. This is one of the relatively few surviving Carolingian illuminated manuscripts.
The scenes depicted from the Old and New Testaments still betray the style of Late Antiquity. Anglo-Saxon and High German glosses (explanations or translations, written between the lines or in the margin) are added to the text, sometimes in cryptographic script. The manuscript was produced in a Liège scriptorium.
The Carmen Paschale is an Easter song written around 425 by Caelius Sedulius. This copy of it was made in around 860 and decorated in a Liège scriptorium. It was intended for the local Cathedral of St Lambert. Christophe Plantin inherited the work in 1581 from the humanist Theodoor Poelman, along with other Latin manuscripts. Poelman added annotations to the texts, but others before him had already added notes in Anglo-Saxon and Old High German.